OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:47:16 -0600
Work, errands, and a gray, misty, rainy day prevented me from playing
yesterday, so here is my backyard list for today.

Red-shouldered Hawk     1
Mourning Dove     8
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Downy Woodpecker     2
Blue Jay     5
American Crow     1
Carolina Chickadee     2
Tufted Titmouse     2
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     1
European Starling     150
Song Sparrow     1
White-crowned Sparrow     2
Dark-eyed Junco     14
Northern Cardinal     12
House Finch     50
American Goldfinch     21
House Sparrow     3

I was doing pretty well with only 8 starlings at my feeders when a huge
flock swooped in and took over the yard, mostly back by the horse
pasture.  Until then, my most numerous species had been House Finch.
When 30 or so of the alien invaders tried to take over my feeding
stations, I was moved to action.  After a couple of aborted attempts,
the bulk of the flock left, disturbed by my screaming and dish
towel-flapping antics.

Number of species:     18
Most numerous: dad-blasted starlings
Best bird: A tie between the Carolina Wren (always a welcomed sight) and
the Red-shouldered Hawk.

not countable:  My neighbor's two guinea fowl, chased from the ground
feeder by my Rott.  She never catches them, but never abandons hope.

Bad pic of the white-winged house finch on my blog

Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont County
http://katdocsworld.blogspot.com/