OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:05:25 EDT
I am relaying a report from Mona Rutger, owner of Back to the Wild
rehabilitation and nature education center.

At about 5:45 this evening Mona was at the intersection of Rt 2 and Rt 4
southwest of Sandusky and saw four Sandhill Cranes flying overhead.  The  birds
were flying north, towards Sandusky Bay.

Mona also mentioned that earlier today she saw about a dozen migrating
Monarch Butterflies.  As part of her Open House at Back to the Wild on  Sunday, she
released what I believe are the last of the Monarchs she reared this  year.
She also released two successfully rehabilitated Red-tailed  Hawks.

As long as I am mentioning Mona and her center, I would like to add  this.  I
had wanted to post information about Sunday's open house, in case  any of you
would have been interested in touring her facility and having the
opportunity to study her birds of prey (including a Golden Eagle) and other  animals up
close, but after all the recent discussion of what is and what is not
appropriate for our list serve I felt intimidated.

I think it is a shame that we may miss hearing about events of interest to
birders because people are reluctant to post for fear their message may cross
the line.  I for one would appreciate further guidelines concerning what is
and is not permissible.

Sheryl Young