OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:23:42 -0400
As I was in Ashtabula on business today, I decided to take lunch at
Conneaut. This was my first visit to this birding hotspot, although today it
did not live up to its reputation.

White headed gulls were the most numerous birds, about evenly divided
between Herring and Ring-Billed, with about 60 Bonaparte's Gulls as well. I
scanned through them all about four times in hopes of turning up a Little
Gull, but no such luck. I almost left without ticking off a single
shorebird, but then I happened to glimpse a plover while scanning with my
binoculars, and ended up with three beautiful juvenile Black-bellied Plovers
and a single juvenile American Golden-Plover. I also had a Killdeer and
about 12 Turkey Vultures. Waterfowl only included Canada Geese and Mallards.

Perhaps someday I will make it up there at the right time, before people
start showing up to fish. Still, the awesome looks I had of the plovers
convinced me of the potential this spot has, as remote as it is for many of
us in Ohio!

Andy Sewell

Columbus, Ohio

  _____