OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Amy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2011 04:32:00 -0500
Hi, again, Ohio birders.

Several photos of the Black-tailed Gull have been uploaded to our
Flickr site. (See also our photos of the Black-headed Gull at
Conneaut):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffamy

The first photo posted was a picture of our camera's LCD screen taken
with our cell phone. The new uploads show the bird's mantle color much
more accurately. The photos were taken between 4:40 and 5:15 Saturday
evening at the marina.

Here are a couple more ID points that may be helpful in separating
this bird from a Lesser Black-backed Gull when the tail is not
visible. A Lesser Black-backed Gull will typically have much more
extensive streaking on the head and neck, concentrated in the eye
area, giving the bird a "fierce" expression. The Black-tailed Gull had
very little streaking, limited to the nape. Also, the Lesser
Black-back has a thick white scapular crescent (white C-shaped marking
formed by feathers on mid-back when perched). This marking was very
thin on the Black-tailed Gull.

The Black-tail also appeared slimmer than a Lesser Black-back, with a
thinner bill.

Thanks to Jen for the maps, the locals for their hospitality, the
other chasers for their willingness to coordinate with us (you guys
rock!), and, of course, Ken. What a great bird.

Amy

--
Amy Davis
Downingtown, PA

Sightings Department Editor, Birding and Winging It
American Birding Association
(484) 753-5154

Check out Jeff & Amy's bird photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffamy/