OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Tom Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:43:24 -0500
Have you been birding in an area impacted by the emerald ash borer?  I do
not mean an area under firewood quarantine, but a forested area where ash
trees have died in significant numbers.

I would be very interested in hearing your impressions about whether there
has been an increase in the numbers of woodpeckers or a shift in woodpecker
species in these areas.

I am in the second year of a multi-year study of woodpecker dynamics in a
225 acre forest.  It is likely that emerald ash borer will arrive in the
next 10 years, and I want to be able to do some pre- and post- ash borer
comparisons.  I am hoping to combine this research with regional trends in
woodpecker abundance, based in part on Christmas Bird Count data and the
Breeding Bird Survey.

Any stories would be most appreciated.  Reply to me directly (
[log in to unmask] ) instead of the list.

Tom Rooney
Wright State University.