OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:30:54 -0500
Hello Birders,

The winter season may be winding down (recent temperatures notwithstanding)
and there are already waterfowl and other migrants on the move, but for one
last shot at the best of winter, Ohio birders will have a unique chance to
learn about Snowy Owls on March 21 in Port Clinton.  Famed researcher Norman
Smith will be at the annual banquet of the Black Swamp Bird Observatory to
speak about "Snowy Owls: As you've never seen them before."  And he's in a
position to do that, too.  Smith has been studying Snowies for years,
observing them for thousands of hours and banding hundreds of individuals,
and he probably knows the species better than anyone else ever has.  On top
of that, he's a dynamic speaker and he has incredible photographs of the
Snowy Owls in action (as well as other owls, and other birds that they
interact with).  Kim and I saw one of Norm's presentations last fall and we
were so knocked out by it that we immediately begged him to come give a
program in Ohio.

You don't have to be a member of BSBO to attend this event, or to take part
in the other things that the observatory has planned for the weekend of
March 20-22 in Port Clinton.  And the birds have some things planned, too:
Waterfowl migration will be in full swing in the marshes and along the
lakeshore, and there should be a good push of early migrants like Rusty
Blackbirds and Fox Sparrows.  It's a great time to visit this area!  Please
see the information available at
http://www.bsbobird.org/

We hope to see you there!

Kenn Kaufman