From:
Carole Babyak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 21:44:41 -0400

information about Hawk watch at Conneaut and contact person Tom Wasilewski

30 day Conneaut, Ohio Hawkwatch

The start of the first season of the Conneaut, Ohio Hawkwatch at Malek Park is planned to be a daily occurrence for 30 days beginning on April 10th.  The Hawk Migration Association of North America (HMANA) has created an entry site for this hawkwatch on its website -see www.hawkcount.org    As the first year coordinator I will try my best to learn to do the data entry for the site on the HMANA website.  The information obtained is important and if there are further years for the hawkwatch, the observation season will be expanded.

The observation site is at Malek Park which is located just west of Parrish Road on the westside of Conneaut and about 7/8ths of a mile south of the Lake Erie shoreline.   This Park is situated between U.S. Route 20 and State Route 531 (a two lane highway near the Lake Erie shoreline).  I will set up at the pavilion in the park between the core hours of 9 a.m. (DST) and 1 p.m. (DST) weather permitting.  Also if there are strong southerly or southwesterly winds the hawk migration may be nearer to the lakeshore and I will move to the area of Parrish Road and SR 531 ( perhaps at the Villa nursing home parking lot) to try counting the raptors.  Malek Park has a history of hawkwatching activity for one or several days in some prior years,  particularly when a significant Broadwing hawk ymigration flight was anticipated.  And some of that data was reported on this Ohio Birds website by the skilled hawkwatchers that made the trip out there.   All interested folks are welcome-you do not have to have any experience watching raptors.  This is on-going learning experience for everyone.   I am a semi-skilled, and somewhat experienced hawkwatcher but anticipate there will be quite a few unidentified raptors recorded in this first year.

This is considered a Spring Season Hawkwatch and most of the raptors migrate near the lakeshore headed towards Canada and New England and places in between.
Phone Tom Wasilewski at 814-734-3653 after 8 pm if you have questions or need more information.