OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2018

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2018 02:05:42 -0500
No Ed, this is the Hinkley Creagle (Corvihaliaeetus hinklephalus).  Until
recently it was thought that the Hinkley Creagle has two morphs, the black
and red head morphs.  However thanks to DNA analysis it has now been split
into two subspecies by the ABA, the red faced Hinkley Creagle(gallopavo),
and the black faced Hocking Creagle (carvorax).

Every year they migrate about two to three weeks earlier than both Turkey
and Black Vultures, so Ohio Birders must be vigilant to not confuse the
two.  A good safe date for reporting Turkey Vultures is March 15, any
earlier, and is better to list them as a spuh since the only way to
distinguish between Creagles and Vultures is to measure the tongue and
third feather in the secondary flight feathers. (Vultures are 3mm longer in
both instances.)

The reason why they do not show up on eBird maps is because with only about
1000 left, and their breeding range so small (about the size of Cleveland)
the species is listed as endangered and falls within eBird's guidelines for
listing sensitive species.

Hope this clears it up.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J.