OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Phil Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 05:25:32 -0700
Hi, all,

It's been almost 2 years since I've last posted to the
list, so, I'm still knocking the rust off.  Here are
observations from yesterday, 6/18, at both the Kiser
Lake State Park in Champaign County and Buck Creek
State Park (Clark Co.?).

Kiser Lake State Park
 Wood Thrush (1)
 Northern Flicker (2)
 Cedar Waxwing (1)
 Common Grackle (3)
 White-eyed Vireo (Juv) (1)
 Northern Cardinal (3)
 Yellow Warbler (1)
 American Robin (5)
 Orchard Oriole (3)
 White-breasted Nuthatch (4)
 Grey Catbird (2)
 Baltimore Oriole (2)
 American Goldfinch (2)
 Mourning Dove (4)
 Great-blue Heron (1)
 Hairy Woodpecker (1)
 Tufted Titmouse (7)
 Turkey Vulture (23+ hanging out on the beach and
playing in the water!)
 Eastern Meadowlark (3)
 Indigo Bunting (1)
 Hooded Warbler (2)

Yeah, I had to laugh -- I came around the corner to
the "beach" at Kiser Lake and there were oodles of
Turkey Vultures, hanging out, standing on the picnic
table and/or walking out into the lake and splashing
around.  A couple of them seemed to go out far enough
to float a la ducks.  I haven't seen anything like it,
before.

Buck Creek State Park -
  Red-winged Blackbird (10-12)
  Kildeer (7)
  Ring-billed Gull (20-25)
  Eastern Meadowlark (fem) (2)
  Hooded Warbler (1)
  Red-tailed Hawk (1)

I did get buzzed by a mystery bird that looks as
though it might have been a merlin, but I am not sure:
 pretty much a kestrel with longer fore-wings and
overall brown color.  I'm mainly not sure because a) I
was traveling at ~60mph and b) so was it...the other
direction. Any thoughts?

Phil

Philip M. Ware
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/free/gallery.asp?mem=117474
http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=79253
"I've never been so insulted in all my life."
"It's early, yet." - G. Marx.