OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
Lee Grover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Grover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:03:42 -0400
Sunday, I was tired of staying at home, so I decided to go down to the
Castalia area & do a little birding.

Near the junction of US20 (North side of Fremont) & US6N, I saw 3 vultures
circling. The lower one was a Black Vulture. Good start.

I stopped at Pickerel Creek WMA. As I was walking up to the lookout, I saw
the Marsh Wren I was hoping - under the lookout. After climbing the lookout,
I saw mostly pretty common birds, GB Herons, G Egrets, C Geese & some
Redheads. Then I saw an Upland Sandpiper fly, off to the northwest. In one
of the other ponds, about 1/2 mile north, I flushed a Little Blue Heron & a
House Wren.

Didn't see much interesting around Castalia itself, so I went to Medusa
Marsh. Saw nothing but C. Geese.

It was very windy on Lake Erie, which chased the birds away from the shore,
so I started working my way back towards Toledo. Not much, so I decided to
go to McGee Marsh. I sat on the Lookout for about 2 hours & it was fairly
good. Seen were Warbling Vireo, Kentucky Warbler, Crested Flycatcher,
Olive-sided Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Baltimore Oriole & Mockingbird, plus
a lot of various blackbirds.

Time to go home.
V. Lee Grover