OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 18:22:04 EDT
Today three friends and I monitored the east shore of Hoover Reservoir for
the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II. We did our surveying by boat and had to share
the water with what seemed to be every fisherman in Ohio. Surprisingly the
birds  were very quiet with little singing in comparison to what I normally
experience.  One reason may be that we didn't hit the water until 1:00 PM, not
prime survey  time. We were just happy to be out and able to enjoy the day and
good company.  Our highlight was when I spotted two Great Horned Owlets. One
already has the  facial disks and looks like and owl. The second was less
developed and looked  like a huge Q-Tip. We located multiple Eastern Kingbird nests
with he adult  setting on the nest, Prothonotary warbler territories,
Yellow-throated Warbler  and Cliff Swallow nests under several bridges.

Our observations for the afternoon included:
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron    (common everywhere)
Green Heron    (1)
Canada Goose    (with goslings)
Mallard    (with ducklings)
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl    (2 owlets)
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher    (entering and exiting nest  tunnel)
Northern Flicker
Willow Flycatcher
Great Crested Flycatcher    (at cavity)
Eastern Kingbird    (multiple females on nest)
Tree Swallow    (at nest cavities)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow    (multiple birds at nest tunnels)
Cliff Swallow    (65+ at nests under bridges)
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren    (at nest boxes)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher)
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling    (at cavities that could be better  used)
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler    (at nest boxes)