OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:54:09 -0800
The 1st year male Surf Scoter that was reported below Griggs recently has moved southward along the Scioto River. It was seen today at various places between the bike path at Rivers Edge office building and 5th Avenue. Water is open from Griggs Dam south to the first bridge on the bike path. Other ducks along this stretch today include a few Buffleheads, a good number of Common Goldeneyes and Hooded Mergansers and the typical large number of Ring-necked Ducks. I didn't see any Wood Duks today, but they're probably still around somewhere. Notable passerines here today included a Chipping Sparrow and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. That kinglet is one mighty resourceful little ball of feathers to have made it through the recent icy weather. I presume that it is the same one that I hve been seeing off an on since mid-December.

At the Greenlawn Cemetery the large White-winged Crossbill flock that was present last week seems to have dissipated. They seem to be present there now in only small groups of 10 or less, usually seen mostly high atop spruces. I have posted some photos of them on my website :

http://www.roysephotos.com/WhiteWingedCrossbill.html

Unfortunately I was never successful in getting the nice classic portrait shot in nice light that I was hoping for, but hopefully we haven't seen the last of them yet.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com