From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 22:43:35 -0400
Our spring tradition of visiting the Magee Area has once again proved memorable and rewarding. During twelve days of random birding, between Friday April 19 and Thursday May 16, we recorded 209 species, 36 of these being warblers. The sites we visited were in Lucas, Ottawa, and Erie Counties. Warbler highlights were many, with Worm-eating Warbler being a new one for us at "The Boardwalk. Our best warbler moment is almost unthinkable; on Friday morning May 10th, about 8:45AM, a tweet was posted on "The Biggest Week" twitter page about a Connecticut Warbler being found at Pipe Creek near Cedar Point Amusement Park. A birding friend, Jeff Harvey, knew we were on our way from home to Magee, and contacted us. Forty-five minutes later we were there. We were totally surprised on our arrival to find that we were the only ones in the parking lot. An hour and a half later we had seen an amazing three Connecticut's, two males, and a probable female. The first male alerted us to his location from the woodlot on the south edge of the parking lot, with its song. The probable female was near the canoe launch. The second male was silent, but visible, on a log about three hundred feet down the trail, on the left side. Connecticut sightings in the past have been on May 11 and May 13. What a way to start the day! On the way to "The Magee Boardwalk" we stopped at Camp Perry Beach and found a Willet. The Willet stayed for at least three days. This location became a twice a day stop, and was our favorite shorebird site. Twenty-two shorebird types were found; two Black-necked Stilts at the new Ottawa NWR Blausey Unit, were the best; with at least four Upland Sandpipers at Stange Road, a close second. One night, two of the Uppies thrilled us with aerial displays over the green wheat field. On Monday night, May 13th, a Piping Plover gave us close viewing at "The Crane Creek Estuary". Five Black Terns gave us a show at Metzger Marsh. A Clay-colored Sparrow, up close and personal kept our attention at the beach on "The Estuary Trail". Whip-poor-wills, Olive-sided Flycatchers, Mourning Warblers, Oh my! To many special moments to mention. The final icing on the cake, a getting to be an annual event, was two different Kirtland's Warblers on the beach, one on May 14 and one on May 15. Of the seven Kirtland's sightings we have had in Ohio, including these, they have all been in the spring between May 10 and May 21. Right on schedule; just like clockwork. The highest species day was Wednesday May 15 with 128. Highest warbler day was Saturday May 4 with 27. Each year we obviously love the birding, but the socializing with old friends, and meeting new ones, is also part of the obsession to be present as many days as possible. There is never a slow birding day, some are just more rewarding than others. Those special days are the ones we will remember and talk about for years to come. All we have are memories; and this year provided many!

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County