OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:14:07 -0500
A Lesser Black-backed Gull in alternate plumage rested on the ice margin
about 150 meters north of the Africa Road boat Ramp just north of Cheshire,
Delaware County at 3:00 PM today. The lanky gull was a bit smaller than
herrings--skinny anyway, with long wing projection. Very dark in comparison
to other gulls. It flew about fifty meters showing fairly uniform dark gray
mantle and upper wings with clean white trailing edge on secodaries and low
contrast, but darker wingtips. I didn't notice white, or the small primary
mirror at the long observation distance. Herring gulls dropped by for
convenient comparisons. Ring-billed Gulls are still present in the low
hundreds, much diminished from high hundreds to a thousand or so in the
vicinity of the Cheshire Road bridge last weekend. You'll need a scope. More
ducks dropped in: N. Pintail, Ruddy Ducks, Common Goldeneye, Bufflehead, RB
Mergs, lots of Hooded Mergs., etc.

Tom Bain
Central Ohio Clayey Till Plain
Delaware County