OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:40:22 -0400
It is 3:30 PM. We have departed The Conneaut Sandspit after a 7+ hour visit. Birding today was well worth the drive to get there. The Willet was still there, but the Marbled Godwit and the Black-bellied Plover have apparently moved on. We recorded 41 bird species during our stay. We had heavy rains several times today. Additional shorebird sightings this afternnoon were 10 Ruddy Turnstones (mostly in breeding plumage), and 2 White-rumped Sandpipers; total shorebird species seen became 14. A single Lesser Black-backed Gull, along with an increase of Bonaparte's Gulls to 16, and Caspian Terns to 6, rounded out the day. Sharing part of the day with Jeff Harvey, my wife Denise, and myself, at The Sandspit, were Sally Isacco, Jerry Talkington, and Jeff and Marian Kraus. On our way home we are planning on a stop at Mosquito Wildlife Area in Trumbull County. It is a great day to be birding.

Bob Lane / Heading south on SR11