OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2015 14:47:16 -0500
I followed up a tip by Bill Whan, nosing around the perimeter of the Columbus landfill, and hit gold with gulls.  The current spreading area for the landfill is at it's southwestern end, near the intersection of Youngs Rd and Zuber Rd.  Not only were there a cloud of gulls and starlings around the spreading area, but the non-feeding gulls were resting in a field just NW of that intersection (west of I-71)I pulled off along the southbound (west) side of Youngs Rd far enough to not be a major impedance to traffic, and had great views of the gulls lounging in the field.  The gulls at the spreading area were still a bit too distant for good looks, but the gull traffic between the 2 sites was continuous, so I often had good looks at gulls flying over the road.  I spent about an hour and a half there (10:15-11:45) and tallied

2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls (may have been more, but only saw 2 at once)
2 Glaucous Gulls (both immatures; adults would be challenging to easily pick out here)
1 Thayer's Gull (good view for about 10 minutes; there may be more hidden in the large mass of gulls here)
1000+ Herring Gulls
3500+ Ring-billed Gulls
8000 Starlings
50 American Crows

The LBBG and GLGU were easily spotted within the first 15 minutes, and I had singles of each almost continuously while I was there.  I was very intent on looking for Iceland, but couldn't find anything close other than the Thayer's.  There are a LOT of gulls here for central Ohio, with the number of large gulls much higher than any other group I've encountered locally.  This spot should be good on any day when the trash is being turned.  These gulls appear not to be commuting north to the reservoirs during this cold snap, or we would certainly have seen more of their flocks.  They may be short-stopping, roosting at some of the huge quarries south of town.