OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Melanie Shuter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melanie Shuter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:17:18 -0500
My immature female Rufous Hummingbird is still here also (Circleville,
Pickaway County).  I have three feeders out.  One is set up with a
floodlight about a foot away that keeps the nectar from freezing.  One is
mixed with a solution of one cup water to 1/3 cup sugar so it will freeze at
a lower temp than 28 degrees.  I bring that one in on really cold nights and
put it out about 1/2 hour before dawn.  She seems to like that one early in
the morning.  The other one has frozen solid on several occasions. So, I
bring it in to thaw out or mix new nectar to put out later in the day when
the sun (if we have any) shines on it.  She visits all the feeders.  My
floodlight which is screwed into a clamp reflector blew down in the strong
windstorm we had over a week ago.  I have since tied it down so it cannot
slip off the shepherd's hook I had it clamped to.  So far, the floodlight
has kept the nectar from freezing.

Melanie Shuter