OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 14:52:39 -0400
Hello Everyone~

Dave Hess makes a very valuable point here...there's still much that can be
accomplished for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas!  Now that fall shorebird
migration is upon us, our birding focuses are shifting, but I encourage
everyone to continue keeping an eye out for nesting activity while you're
out scouring the flats for peeps.  Or take a detour through some of your
blocks while heading out to your favorite shorebirding destination.

A quick look at the OBBA2 species list reveals that we're still within safe
dates for at least 42 species (some vireos, sparrows, chickadees,
white-breasted nuthatch, goldfinch, wrens - the majority of species will be
out of safe dates after August 15th).  But Safe Dates don't matter if
probable or confirmed breeding evidence is obtained.  Many species are
especially easy to confirm now.  While some species are hard to find and are
not singing, some species are actively singing, and many species are busy
feeding young.  Late-July through early-August is a very good time to get
confirmations, clean up blocks, or even start new blocks.  You may not be
able to add some observed species to your block's list, but these "misses"
will be outweighed by the numerous confirmations that can be had.  In fact,
in just the past week some 50 species have been recorded as CONFIRMED
(usually carrying food or fledged young) from our observations and others on
posts to Ohio-Birds.  These species include:

Mallard
Wood Duck
Wild Turkey
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Mourning Dove
Common Nighthawk
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Barn Swallow
Purple Martin
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Sedge Wren
American Robin
Eastern Bluebird
Gray Catbird
N. Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Blue-winged Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
N. Cardinal
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Thanks again to everyone's efforts to contribute valuable data to the Ohio
Breeding Bird Atlas II.  As always feel free to contact us with any
questions that you might have.  Good birding!

Aaron Boone
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
(614) 247-6458 OR [log in to unmask]
www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/