OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2020

From:
Tracy the Birder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy the Birder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2020 18:25:49 -0500
I'm replying with what I know for the benefit of all on this list-

The hummer is indeed a Black-Chinned, the first recorded in Ohio.  It was banded and its ID was confirmed Monday morning 11-16.  I was at the location Monday from 2-4PM and Tuesday (today) from 10AM-4PM and did not see the bird.  It was seen at 8:30AM today at the feeder but it was not seen again after that (at least as of 4PM today).  Maybe being banded is causing the erratic behavior?  It was caught in a netlike device around the feeder to get it banded.  The bird may be shy.  Who knows for sure?

Here is information from Facebook's Ohio Chase Birds:

The address is 300 Cole Rd, Galloway OH.  The homeowners welcome visitors but only between certain hours on certain days.  Here's the hours for the rest of this week-

Wednesday 11/18 - 1pm-4pm
Thursday/Friday 11/19-20 - CLOSED
Saturday/Sunday 11/21-22 - 9am-4pm

Come only during these hours.  Apparently 3 cars came early and opened the homeowner's driveway gate and went in.  Behavior like this may very well cause the homeowners to cut off all visitation, so please follow the rules!

The yard is quite large.  You pull in the driveway and parking is on the grass on the right.  Overflow parking will be on the grass on the left.  You can stand and view the feeder behind the house, but get no closer than the gravel driveway loop.

I'm used to seeing cold-weather hummers come to a feeder every 20 minutes or so.  This hummer is not following those rules.  Its visitations are erratic and very infrequent.  Maybe someone else with more knowledge can post and add anything that should be said.

Best of luck!

Tracy the Birder
https://seasonsflow.wordpress.com/
http://ebird.org/ebird/profile/MzIzNzgx/US-OH