OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:01:35 -0400
Last night from 3:10 to 4:00 pm I sat by the windows on wildlife at Pearson
Metro-park waiting to go to a meeting in the next room. It started to rain
hard, but the birds sure didn't care. Here is what I saw in 50 minutes.

1. Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1 it never came down to the feeders
2. Mourning Dove - 4
3. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1 pair; nice looks at the male up-close
4. Downy Woodpecker - 4; 3 females and 1 male
5. Blue jay - 1
6. Black-capped Chickadee - 7
7. Tufted Titmouse - 1
8. White-breasted Nuthatch - 2 males and 1 female
9. FOX SPARROW - 7 beautiful birds digging in the leaf litter. One was
orange, one was grey/dull blue with deep red, several were orange-red, and
one was cherry red.
10. Song Sparrow - 1
11. Dark-eyed Junco - 27
12. Northern Cardinal - 2 males, 1 female
13. Red-winged Blackbird - 4 males
14. Common Grackle - 1
15. Brown-headed Cowbird - 2 females
16. House Finch - 6 some males were beautiful, but no Purple Finches this
evening.
17. PINE SISKIN - 2 one had dark, heavy stripes; both had strong yellow in
the wings.
18. American Goldfinch - 14 at least. One was starting to turn yellow.
19. House Sparrow - 4

PS. I got a call from Julie Shieldcastle at the Black Swamp Bird Observatory
and they had a
Eastern Towhee at the back feeder behind the building in the afternoon.

Happy birding everyone,

Chris Knoll
Education Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory