OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:31:16 -0400
Hi all,

The Eurasian Wigeon reported by John Kuenzli remains at Funk and was widely
seen today. It is along the south side of State Rte. 95, not too far east of
the observation platform. For more info on this site, visit:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=8

Finding the wigeon isn't that easy, but you'll have fun trying. The valley
is very wet and flooded, and scores of waterfowl are there. At least 22
species were reported between Funk, Killbuck Wildlife Area, and other local
spots today. The Eurasian Wigeon is fraternizing with the hundreds of
American Wigeon that are present, and they are among thousands of ducks at
Funk. You can find every expected species of duck, and there are still a few
dozen Tundra Swans and two Snow Geese. A number of Sandhill Cranes are also
there.

Some nice harbingers of spring included mobs of Tree Swallows, a number of
Wilson's Snipe, and several Greater Yellowlegs. A very cooperative American
Bittern was in a wet grassy swale at the junction of State Rte. 226 and
Wells Rd. (I think, someone correct me if that's the wrong road). Anyway,
this bittern was probably seen by hundreds of birders today, as the Shreve
Migration Sensation was today and this event attracts scores of birders.
That bittern may hold the record for "most bird watchers getting me as their
life American Bittern".

Funk and Killbuck are providing some of the best birding in Ohio right now,
but the waterfowl won't last too much longer.

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio