OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:33:09 EDT
For those living near the Englewood area, between 7:50 p.m. and 9:15  p.m.
each night a mixed flock of red-wings, cowbirds, starlings, and grackles  stream
over Englewood in a roughly diagonal path southwest to northeast crossing
the intersection of Wenger and Union Rds. to the intersection of Rts. 48 and 40
and disappear along the Stillwater River south of Martindale Rd. north of the
 Main Metropark.  Another flock comes from due north along the east side of
the river.  The total from the birds must total easily in the 1000s and is
quite a sight.  We have attempted to locate where they are roosting, but,  so
far, no luck.  Boy, it is hard to find blackbirds in the dark!

Also, at the Main Metropark yesterday shorebirds were 50+ great blue  herons,
3 least sandpipers, 2 spotteds, 1 yellowlegs, 1 solitary, and too many
killdeer to count.

We have noticed that no one from the BK's* to us common folks seems to be
using the Delorme coordinates anymore.  Since we were chastised for not  using
them a couple of years ago, we were just wondering?

Happy birding,
Ed and Bev

*(Big Kahuna's)