From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2011 20:50:56 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow (Sunday) the annual spring Audubon walks begin in northeast Ohio.
We always look forward to these walks, and tomorrow Beth and I will be at
Shaker Lakes at 7:30 AM.

But I was lured there today when a friend called to say she had seen a
Yellow-throated Warbler. I got there a little before 5:30, and spent about
an hour and a half. I did not see the warbler‹or any warblers‹unfortunately,
but I did have some nice migrants, among the usual suspects, in different
places around the Marsh and Lower Lake:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal (3-4)
Pied-billed Grebe (4)
Turkey Vulture (1 fly-over)
American Crow (4 flying over)
Blue Jay
Northern Cardinal (many, and very vocal)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-bellied Woodpecker (lots of calling)
Downy Woodpecker (several, lots of calling)
Hairy Woodpecker (1‹I watched her work on the entrance to her nest cavity,
then go in)
Eastern Phoebe (2)
American Robin (many, very active, calling a lot)
Mourning Dove
American Goldfinch (vocalizing a lot)
House Finch
Tufted Titmouse
Black-capped Chickadee
Golden-crowned Kinglet (several)
Brown Creeper (1)
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Fox Sparrow (2-3)
Red-winged Blackbird
Rusty Blackbird (!) (1 only, vocalizing a lot)

The Shaker Lakes park area lies along the border between Cleveland Heights
and Shaker Heights in Cuyahoga County. The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes is
on South Park Blvd, and is the place to begin a visitŠ.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga County

Steve Cagan, photographer