OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Thomas Slemmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Slemmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:58:49 -0500
I drove around Killdeer Plains for a couple of hours this morning.  60
Tundra Swans very close to the parking area at the western most pond on
CR68 (see attachment) were worth the trip.  An immature bald eagle flew
over a huge flock of mallards (300+) and spooked them.  Quite a sight and
sound! Only the Tundra Swans stayed behind unimpressed by the young
eagle.  The harriers and eagles were easy to spot.  There were also
several large flocks of tree sparrows but sadly no snow buntings, horned
larks, or longspurs which is why I made the trip.  Here is my list from
over 2 hours and 15 miles:

Location:     Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area
Observation date:     12/23/09
Notes:     Driving aroung 27 degrees.
Number of species:     22

Canada Goose     150