OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2008

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:02:36 -0500
This morning I searched for the Snow Geese seen by Jack Stenger on
Friday, 12/19/08, and photographed with one Ross's Goose, on Saturday,
12/20/08 by Allan Claybon.  I searched the borrow pits within 7 miles of
I-71 on Rt. 35 both east and west of I-71 including the borrow pits
where they were first seen and also photographed yesterday, Saturday,
12/20/08.  As a last resort, I stopped in Melvin at the Melvin Quarry to
see if the birds were there.  I found at least seven Ross's Geese, and
one possible Ross's x Snow hybrid.  These birds were close to the
western edge of the ice and lake.  There were two white phase Snow Geese
further east along the edge of the ice.  The Ross's Geese were mostly
roosting along the ice shelf, but occasionally raised their heads and
were swimming, when Canada Geese flock got restless.  I checked over
these Ross's Geese very carefully, because this is a rather large flock
of this previously quite rare and review species for Ohio.  However, all
seven were quite small, a little bit bigger than Mallards, with rounded
heads and steep foreheads down to the bill with short stubby bills that
were quite flat on the back edge where the bill meets the face, and with
no visible black grin patch between the bill mandibles.  In comparison,
the Snow Geese had more elongated heads that gradually narrowed to the
bill width at the base of the bill, and with curved back edge to the
bill/ face interface and with upper and lower back edges of the bill
protruding back into the face.  Hope that these birds stay for a while.

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, Oh