OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Bob Glotzhober <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Glotzhober <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:59:05 -0500
I thought the list-servers would like to see this item from the Ohio
Historical Society Collection's Blog. Our curator's meet over a couple
of months and selected the ten most embarrassing moments from Ohio
History. Entry number 5 relates to the Passenger Pigeon. I should add
(somehow it missed it in the editing) that "Buttons" - the last
documented wild Passenger Pigeon, is on exhibit at our museum in
Columbus. If you are not familiar with the story of Buttons, visit your
library or Amazon.com and pick up a copy of the book, Hope is the Thing
with Feathers, by Christopher Cokinos, 2000. It highlights the
extinction of several species of birds and has three chapters on the
Passenger Pigeon.

Bob Glotzhober

P.S. The photo attached is cited incorrectly. It is from a bird at the
Portsmouth Public Library, not from the OHS collections. I will be
notifying our web folks to correct the statement, and hopefully add a
photo of Buttons.

Robert C. Glotzhober                  614/ 298-2054

Senior Curator, Natural History    [log in to unmask]

Ohio Historical Society               Fax: 614/ 298-2098