OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Liz Jaggers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Liz Jaggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:35:34 -0500
Driving from Columbus, we saw 6 Red Tailed Hawks.
At the Dawes:
At the visitors center, right after we parked, a Coopers Hawk flew overhead
and landed nearby for a nice look. It then flew into some pines and a few
minutes later it was airborn again with a Sharp Shinned giving it a hard
time and chasing it away.
At the Feeders:
Pine siskins
Black-capped chickadees
Cardinals
White Breasted Nuthatch
Goldfinches
House finches
Hairy Woodpecker
Dark eyed junco
American tree sparrows
Tufted titmouse
Over in the Holly field:
American Robins by the scores
Eastern Bluebirds

large flocks of Canada Geese flew over, but the Dawes pond is frozen over.

Just north of the entrance to the Dawes, we used a scope to see a
Rough-Legged Hawk, Dark Morph sitting in a snag located in a field on the
west side of the road. We watched it preen for a few minutes.  When it flew,
the striking contrast of the white flight feathers and the tail pattern
helped us to identify this beautiful raptor.

At the wetland on White Chapel Road to the north of Dawes, we heard a Great
Horned Owl, but didn't get to see it. No luck seeing other owls or raptors
at the wetland.

Liz and Luke