From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2012 21:09:26 -0400
Hi all,

This afternoon‹about 5 to 6:30‹Beth and I and our friends Stu and Kathleen
Greenberg did some birding in Forest Hill Park, which lies in East Cleveland
and Cleveland Heights. The afternoon was beautiful, the trees fully leaved
out and the wildflowers still ahead of schedule...

There weren¹t a lot of birds‹not a lot of species, and just a few
individuals on each. Only one warbler...We had:

Canada Goose (OK, there were a lot of these‹and a lot of new goslings)
Mallard (and ducklings)
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher (a few calling, and one seen carrying nesting
material to a cavity in a tree)
White-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1!)
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (with no typos)
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

I was surprised not to see a Catbird‹they seem to have come in to this area
in good numbers the last few days‹not White-throated or White-crowned
Sparrows, as there are a lot of them around as well...

There are still (or once again) a lot of Red Admirals around here. Also,
Monarchs seem to be coming in, we had a few in the park, and we had a
Mourning Cloak.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights