OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:03:01 -0400
I visited rocky Fork State Park hoping to find some late season
shorebirds and habitat.  There was an American Avocet in the back
southeast corner on mudflats formed by the lowered lake.  I got to this
area from Hillsboro by taking Route 124 to the entrance to the state
park off of North Shore Drive at the western edge of the lake.  After
entry, proceed to the far parking lot/traffic circle along the lake near
a rest room in the camping area.  The mudflat area and marsh is behind a
narrow strip of land overgrown with trees and vegetation located to the
south of and visible from this parking area.  However, it is difficult
to get a view of this area from the parking area.  To reach this area
one must walk around a pine grove, past a first aid station and pavilion
and take an overgrown hunter's or fisherman's path to the base of this
narrow strip of land to the vicinity of a duck blind hidden in the trees
and bushes.  The American Avocet was out in this large area of low water
and mudflat.  I first found it sitting with its head tucked with a flock
of Ring-billed Gulls.  I managed a few distant digiscoped photos.  A
telescope was needed for a reasonable view of this bird but it was
identifiable with binoculars.  The total shorebird list for this visit
is below.

Killdeer                        27

American Avocet          1

Greater Yellowlegs        3

Solitary Sandpiper         1

The Killdeer were mostly in a large flock in the above described area.
The three Greater Yellowlegs were on the north edge of the lake east of
the boat ramps that are accessible from this same entrance to the park.
The Solitary Sandpiper was as its name describes "alone" and along the
stream that enters the lake and flows under North Shore Drive very close
to the boat ramps and park entry.  Seems to be getting late for this
Solitary Sandpiper.  There is a path that leads to the edge of this
stream from across the road from the park entry booth.  Not much else
worthy of note.

Double-crested Cormorant         1

American Coot                        50

Ring-billed Gull                          40

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH