OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Peter Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:02:33 -0400
OK I just realized that I said Lincoln's when I meant Lark sparrow, both
starting with the same first letter I guess.  But this is why I spoke of
not having binos and the obvious song and the specific grassland/savanna
habitats. I would still say while there was woods around I bet the war
parties (if you can call them that!) could have gathered under an island
of burr oaks on a grassy plain where battles could ensue. But heck we
will never really know.

Sorry for the mix up and thank you for not calling me crazy for the
suggestion of a Lincoln's Sparrow which is far from oblivious without
binos.

Pete Whan
Appalachian Forest Program Manager
The Nature Conservancy of Ohio