OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2016 20:57:15 +0000
 This morning the Big Walnut Nature Club sponsored an Osprey program at the boardwalk at Area M. The Osprey were in fine form with five flying about and perching on dead trees in the area. There were multiple close flyovers that provided several of our visitors excellent photo opportunities. This year the Osprey decided to be different. Instead of using the nest platforms they constructed natural nests. One nest is on the small island next to Platform #1 and the second is at the top of a tree in Area N to the east of the old roadbed. There are several additional nests at Hoover Reservoir this year and they too are natural nests rather than being built on the man-provided platforms. A special thanks to the Westerville Wild Birds Unlimited and Dan Hall for providing a spotting scope and helping make the morning a success.
Not to be outdone there were six male Prothonotary Warblers singing between the Area M parking lot and the end of the boardwalk where we set up the spotting scopes. One female landed on the boardwalk slightly behind the group watching the Osprey. She was seen leading birders and photographers along the boardwalk as she gleaned food for her brood. As an extra touch she was one of the Prothonotary Warblers banded at the preserve. A second banded Prothonotary was observed near the entrance to the boardwalk.
A few other observations from the boardwalk were Cliff Swallows, Green Heron, Bald Eagle, Double Crested Cormorants and Baltimore Orioles.
Later a few of us checked activity off the old roadbed in Area N. My highlight was observing Prothonotary Warblers coming and going to feed their hatchlings in a couple of my nest boxes. Those along with others singing a flitting about totaled 16 Prothonotary Warblers along the old roadbed, several with the new leg bands. In additional several Red-headed Woodpeckers were putting on a show for us. From an advantageous perch they would lift off and soar up to snatch an insect and then return to the perch. In the sunlight the white of their wings were like flashes of a flag in a drill team routine. They are indeed impressive and beautiful birds. A few other species present in Area N were Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Great Crested Flycatchers, Warbling Vireos, Baltimore Orioles, Osprey, Red-eyed Vireos, Wood Thrush and I heard but couldn't locate a Northern Parula.
A morning well spent with great company, participants and visitors alike, as I saw several people I had not seen for a while.
Charlie BombaciHoover Nature PreserveDelaware County