OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Judith Espedal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judith Espedal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:24:05 -0700
This morning at Eastwood MetroPark (off of Harshman, near SR 4 and the Air Force Museum -we were on the lake side of the park):
  an immature bald eagle and an osprey. At first the eagle was perched on a tree near the restrooms. I was able to get so close it could have "white washed" me. We saw the osprey at the end of the lake where the big lake spills over into a shallow pond, also perched in a tree. then the osprey suddenly left and the eagle took its place on its tree. the osprey returned and tried to chase off the eagle, but the eagle just flapped its wings and let the smaller raptor know it was not intimidated. The eagle remained on the osprey's perch.
 Also seen this morning at Eastwood: my first white-throated sparrow of the season, my first yellow-bellied sapsucker of the season

And: a lot of robins and Canada geese, a cowbird, several red-winged blackbirds, ring-billed gulls (allthe gulls I saw well enough to id were ring-billed), quite a few yellow-rumped warblers (again all the warblers I saw well enough to id were yellow-rumped), 1 mallard, 1 killdeer, a cardinal, a Carolina chickadee, a downy woodpecker
In addition to the Eastwood sightings, I have had a female ruby-throated hummingbird at my feeder the past three days, starting on Oct. 13.