OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:21:36 -0400
Posting this for Scott Pendleton, whose list access is temporarily
kaput.  --Bill Whan

     Harrison County is host to no less than 11 pairs of Upland
Sandpipers this season. Unfortunately, they were not where they could be
viewed from public property. However, the post-hatch dispersal from the
breeding grounds is in full force and at least two pairs have set up
shop along Industry Parkway between the state garage and the water
tower.  I would recommend parking at any one of several pasture
entrances and walking along the fence line. At this point, the clutches
are unlikely to be volant. If an adult bird happens to pop up and fly in
circles while giving a rapid alarm call, you should look down for
chicks. Do not be too optimistic! I have closely watched these birds for
several years and have seen a grand total of  three clutches.
     The airport is also worth a try but they are not commonly seen
there. Please check in at the first building you come to.
     There is also a family group of Northern Harriers in this area with
the young being noticeably shaky when gliding. Grasshopper and Henslow's
are thick in most places. Bobolinks not as common in this area. A
possible Lark Sparrow was seen recently and I would appreciate a report
of any sightings of this species.

Scott Pendleton