From:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 20:33:06 -0400
Two male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks have been visiting one of my backyard feeders the past couple of days, and I have some questions about their behavior.  They're feeding each other.  (Perhaps it is always bird #1 feeding bird #2; it's hard to tell them apart, since they are in identical plumage.)  I have seen no female RB Grosbeaks in the area for at least two weeks.

I've been trying to think of a reason they might be doing this, and thought that perhaps one is last year's young which continues to demand to be fed, and for some reason the parent bird doesn't just practice a little "tough love" and end the nurturing.  The only other reason I can think of for this behavior is that they're gay.  I've heard of homosexual penguins, chimps, octopi, cats and humans, but never gay grosbeaks.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I'd love to hear other ideas on why two adult male birds would feed one other.

Heather Nagy
Licking County