OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2018

From:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:25:49 -0500
Early this afternoon I encountered a huge flock of over 1,000 blackbirds
near the middle of Frost Road along the Hocking River in Athens County. My
very rough estimates were 800 Red-winged Blackbirds, 200 Common Grackles,
and 25 Rusty Blackbirds. Females of the last were easily picked out by
their light brown color compared to the others; males were harder since
some appeared to be partially molted. All those numbers may be undercounts.

Near the north end of Frost Road about 30 Cedar Waxwings were feeding on
wild grapes

Early morning at Veto Lake in Washington County:

Canada Goose--6
Mallard--6
Hooded Merganser--2

Along Rocky Point Road in Washington County:

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker--2
Golden-crowned Kinglet--2
Hermit Thrush--1
Cedar Waxwing--8, including 1 juvenile