OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 16:51:40 -0500
Greetings from the thawing tundra,

First of all, we must note that this Snowy is not the same bird that we reported along Road 11 just east of the Indiana line a few weeks ago.  That bird was nearly pure white, whereas this bird shows a lot of light markings on the belly, back and top of head.

We got a call from our birding buddy Scott Meyer this afternoon that he had refound the original Paulding County Snowy Owl that had been seen for a number of days back in December.  The bird had been present along Township Road 162 for at least 17 days before disappearing somewhere around Christmas day.  Scott had seen it again once in January but not since then until this afternoon.  Micki and I drove over to the location, which was about 600 feet west of the intersection of Road 162 and Township Road 97 (one mile south of the quarry), and found the bird immediately about 150 to 200 feet north in the stubble field on the north side of Road 162.

Now it must be stressed that this is only the second report we have had of the bird since Christmas!  Both Scott and we have driven by this location dozens of times in the intervening months and had seen nothing.

Bird long and prosper,
Doug & Micki Dunakin
Antwerp, O.