OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:44:29 EST
Hello Everyone~

 An additional note on the subject of shade grown coffee~

I'd like to invite anyone interested in learning more about this important
conservation issue to join us for BSBO Bird Study. Sponsored by the Black Swamp
Bird Observatory (BSBO), this informal group is open to all ages and all
levels of birding skills. Taking place the second Thursday of every month, from
7:00 - 9:00 PM at the BSBO Nature Center, Bird Study meetings feature species
profiles of some of our favorite birds and a presentation on a bird or nature
related topic.

On January 11th, our topic will be fair trade, shade grown coffee.  We will
watch a wonderful film documentary that makes a clear connection between the
decline of neotropical migratory birds and the decline of traditional
shade-grown coffee production in Latin America.  This film explores the answers to the
questions many of us have been asking about the connection between birds and
coffee.   After viewing the video we will have a round-table discussion and
offer everyone free samples of the fair trade, shade grown coffee (and other tasty
treats) that BSBO offers for sale in our gift shop.

BSBO purchases coffee from a company called Higher Grounds, and for each bag
sold, BSBO gets a share of the proceeds, 100% of which helps to support our
research projects and educational programs.   To learn more about the additional
benefits of purchasing coffee from Higher Grounds, visit them at:
http://www.javaforjustice.com/

Please call the Nature Center at (419) 898-4070 to register for the program.
For directions, and to learn more about BSBO's educational programs, please
visit us online at: Click here: Black Swamp Bird Observatory

Thank you,
Kim Kaufman
Education Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory