OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:34:46 -0500
A friend and I birded at Buck Creek State Park (Old Delorme 66A3) this
morning and the conditions were perfect for observing ducks. Most of the
lake is frozen but there is some open water at the north end of the lake
with access off Grant Road. It was covered with waterfowl. Most common
was Canada Goose but we also saw 10 Greater White-fronted Geese, three
Tundra Swans, and 17 species of ducks. There was only a single
Canvasback but we saw about 75 Redheads and 60 Ring-necked Ducks. There
were smaller numbers of all three mergansers and a few Buffleheads and
some Common Goldeneyes. We looked over the Lesser Scaup carefully and
found one male Greater Scaup which we got to see right next to male
Lesser Scaup and we could easily see the size difference and the much
larger and differently shaped head. We also saw American Black Ducks,
maybe 50 Northern Pintails, 20 American Wigeon, 9 Green-winged Teal, a
few Gadwalls, and a Northern Shoveler. There are more shovelers below
the dam in the creek at the other end of the lake.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio