OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 20:30:10 -0500
Howdy All,
This is a follow-up to Rick Asamoto's post for those who may wonder if the
birds are still in the area.  This afternoon I met Shane Egleston at the
Caesar Creek Visitor Center, and he told me about the Greater
White-fronted Geese (GWFG), Cackling Geese and the White-winged Scoter.  I
stopped by the Roxanna-New Burlington Rd Gravel Pits between 4:00 and 4:30
pm.  The five GWFG and one Cackling Goose were still present.  I did not
see the female White-winged Scoter, but I admit to not looking real a hard
for it as the wind was whipping through the area and it ws bitter cold.
While I was there, the geese and ducks were flying away in small flocks,
so the White-winged Scoter might have left before I arrived.  I managed a
few long-distant digital photos of the GWFG and the Cackling Goose with
its head tucked.  For a brief moment the Cackling Goose raised its head,
revealing the tiny head and bill relative to the surrounding Canada Geese,
and walked to a new location and tucked its head again.  The Cackling
Goose was also smaller than the Greater White-fronted Geese, as it should
be.  That Cackling Goose was smarter than the birder looking at it!
Finally, I followed the Cackling Goose's example and ducked back into my
van to get out of the wind.  Hope that these birds stay, and the small
corner of open water stays open.

This was an amazing day in SW Ohio for waterfowl.  I started the day at
Camp Dennison with Eurasian Wigeon and Long-tailed Duck.  Took a break in
late morning and early afternoon to take care of some business, and then
had the Greater White-fronted Geese and the Cackling Goose before sunset.

Good birding to all,
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH