From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 18:44:45 -0400
The arrival of a new wave of migrants seems to have stalled again in Columbus the past few days, but resident birds keep trickling in. Looking at the weather forecasts there isn't another S wind until Sunday. Here's a summary of what I've seen along my local stretch of the Scioto River south of 5th Ave, the past couple of days :

Herons and Egrets - With the steadily dropping water level of the Scioto recently, Green Herons have become commonplace. I saw 5 along a short stretch of the Scioto yesterday. Yesterday a  Great Egret was seen nest building at the heron colony in the McKinley Rd. quarry, which can be viewed from the top of the Shrum Indian mound.

Flycatchers - A few more Great Crested Flycatchers seem to have returned to their nesting territories, but they're still not at full capacity. I still haven't seen any Empid here yet.

Vireos - Aside from the now widespread resident Warbling Vireos, a White-eyed is the only vireo I've seen lately.

Mimids, Thrushes, Wrens -  House Wrens and Gray Catbirds, both common nesters here, continue to become more numerous every day. A few Wood Thrushes (possibly resident birds) are around, but I haven't noticed any other thrushes moving through in a couple of days.

Warblers - The most notable bird here was a BLACKPOLL WARBLER yesterday. I don't recall hearing any other reports away from the unglaciated counties yet. Yellow-rumped Warblers have increased in numbers in the past 2 days. A half hour walk after work today brought a count of 65+.  Palm Warblers and Nashville Warblers are also more numerous than 2 days ago.  Other warblers here today included Tennessee, N Parula, Yellow, Blackburnian, and BT Green, the same species and possibly the same birds that have been here almost a week now.  Some honey locusts are flowering now, but still have few leaves on them because of the long April freeze. Those trees are a great place to look for migrants.  Yellow-rumps are pretty much the only warblers using them now, but that should hopefully change next week. Today in downtown Columbus, a Tennessee Warbler was singing all morning at the state house.

Grosbeaks, buntings - Like everywhere else, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are turning up here too in small numbers. Yesterday an Indigo Bunting patronized my feeders.

Orioles - Like the Warbling Vireos, catbirds and House Wrens, the ubiquitous Baltimore Oriole is becoming more and more numerous every day in the cottonwoods.

Bob Royse, Columbus