OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:42:56 -0800
Greetings!

I wanted to report a fairly cooperative pair of Winter Wrens (#102) at Strouds Run State Park. Strouds Run is just north of Athens, Ohio in Athens County.

was sure that I heard these birds the other day, but was unable to get
much of a response on my initial run through the area. Yesterday
afternoon, they were very active and vocal. There were two birds
present and they were a very tight-knit pair...never far from each
other at all. They provided excellent looks for over 15 minutes as they
worked an open area of tangles and brambles along the trail. This is
the exact same spot that i had a single bird last January.

The
area in question is near the far western end of Dow Lake. Take CR 20
west to the last parking area on the left. Walk down the hill and
across the small bridge. Directly ahead (to the east) will be a trail
that runs parallel to CR 20, between the road and the stream. Walk back
towards the lake
and about halfway down the trail is an area (to the right) that is
fairly open with lots of remnant fertile fronds of sensitive fern
(Onoclea sensibilis). I have found winter wren
in this area for the past two winters. This is also the area that I had
an adult Red-shouldered hawk at a few days ago and they are pretty
regualr in this stream corridor.

In addition, the area is good for Pileated Woodpecker and there is a fairly consistent roost of Turkey and Black Vultures in the general area of the public beach.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parkmaps/stroudsrunparkmap.pdf

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson

Graduate Student

Ohio University

Department of Environmental and Plant Biology

315 Porter Hall

Athens, Oh  45701

740-593-1126