From:
Harvey Webster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harvey Webster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 20:37:47 -0400
Hello All,

An update on the Common Loon at Lakeview Cemetery on Cleveland's east side.

The bird finally was able to get sufficiently airborne to leave the pond by the Wade Chapel on Monday at 10:00 am according to cemetery staff.

Alas, this afternoon I received a call from a neighbor of the Cemetery, two streets over to be precise, reporting that he had found a loon in his yard yesterday. I retrieved the loon at 2:00 pm this afternoon and took him back to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. There were no fractures of wings or feet. So we hydrated him, force-fed him a dozen smelt, took him down to E. 72 St. and released him on Lake Erie at 5:30 pm. He dove and swam well and I watched him swim into the sun's refection on the Lake waters going west. Let's hope for the best.

He was last see off the water intake channel to the CEI plant at E. 72nd. St.

Cheers,

Harvey

Harvey B. Webster
Director, Wildlife Resources