From:
"J. Hochadel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Hochadel
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2016 19:58:19 -0400
Something told me to check the bike trail for migrants this morning. I sure
am glad I did! My five mile walk (round trip) yielded 73 species (list
below) for 5 hours of birding, plus one more upon returning home for a
total of 74 species. Early this morning, most birds were low (in shrubs or
on the ground) and singing. By late morning most of them were high (in the
tree tops) and quiet. At times there were so many birds singing that my
ears were ringing, especially when several Gray Catbirds and Yellow
Warblers were singing only feet away from me. Side note: I quit counting
chipmunks when I reached 50. They were everywhere....

Surprises included one male Connecticut Warbler (observed for two minutes)
and three Marsh Wrens. Several species high in numbers (for here) include:
House Wren, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Gray Catbird, Yellow Warbler,
Blue-winged Warbler, American Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, and Eastern
Towhee,

My favorite moment was watching a male Hooded Warbler flitting around in
the understory. He landed on the branch of a small sapling about 15 feet
away from me, right in a ray of sunlight, He threw back his head and sang
over and over again. :)

Judy Hochadel

Canada Goose
Wood Duck - 2 (2 locations, one in each place)
Green-winged Teal - 2 (a pair)
Mallard
Turkey Vulture - 4
Red-shouldered Hawk - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Killdeer - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 3
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Ring-billed Gull - 2 having a tiff in midair
Mourning Dove
Barred Owl - 2 (2 locations, one in each place about 1 mile apart)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Acadian Flycatcher - 3 (all singing at the same time)
Great Crested Flycatcher - 1
Tree Swallow - 21
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee - observed 2 mating
Eastern Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren - 14
Marsh Wren - 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 13
Eastern Bluebird
Veery - 8
Hermit Thrush - 1
Wood Thrush - 6
American Robin
Gray Catbird - 17 (I found two nests, watched then being built)
European Starling
Solitary Vireo - 3
Warbling Vireo - 1
Red-eyed Vireo - 2
Blue-winged Warbler - 6
Yellow Warbler - 39
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 3
Magnolia Warbler - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 8
Black-throated Green Warbler - 2
Palm Warbler - 4
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
American Redstart - 11
Prothonotary Warbler - 1
Ovenbird - 2
Connecticut Warbler - 1 (male, watched it for ~2 minutes, sang several
times, in shrubs about 10 feet away from me)
Common Yellowthroat - 11
Hooded Warbler - 2
Scarlet Tanager - 1
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - numerous and mostly in pairs
Eastern Towhee - 20
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow - 3 singing
Fox Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow 4
White-throated Sparrow - 17
*White-crowned Sparrow - 1 at my feeder when I returned home
Bobolink - 2 males singing
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark - 2 males
Common Grackle