OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2018

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2018 16:55:40 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip to the Darby Plains found cooler-rainier weather,
but lots of resident birds, including some unusual species for this area.
After a brief early trip to Sycamore Plains, we started at Darby Bend
lakes, hiking around the lakes there, but rain showers cut off the end of
the trip (and ultimately led the group to split up).  After waiting out the
showers, I traveled down to Racetrack wetlands and the Teal Trail in
Battelle Darby Metropark, where I found many of the wetland specialties
that have graced these sites recently.  Included in the morning list were:

Herons,Egrets - Green Herons were at Darby Bend Lakes, Racetrack wetland,
and Teal Trail wetlands, while a Great Egret was at Darby Bend lakes

Waterfowl - nothing terribly unusual, but did have flyover cormorants at
many locations (presumably commuters from the Campbell Quarry rookery).
Blue-winged Teal were on the Teal Trail.

Rails,Gallinule - lots of Soras were calling along the Teal Trail, which
also had a few Virginia Rails and a single Common Gallinule

cuckoos - a Yellow-billed was seen briefly along the River Rock Trail at
Darby Bend Lakes.

Flycatchers - Willow Flycatchers were at both Sycamore Plains and Darby
Bend Lakes, as well as both Racetrack & Teal Trail wetlands.  Pewees &
Great Cresteds were at many sites.

Vireos - Warblings were numerous at Darby bend Lakes, while at White-eyed
was at Sycamore Plains, along with Red-eyed & Yellow-throated

Wrens - Marsh Wrens were common at both Racetrack and Teal Trail wetlands,
while a single Sedge Wren was seen briefly near the junction of the Teal
Trail and Harrier Trail

Thrushes - Wood Thrushes conspicuously quiet, with only 1 singing at
Sycamore Plains

Warblers - Prothonotaries at Darby Bend Lakes were unexpected, but we had 1
pair plus a separate singing male.  Parulas were singing there and at
Sycamore Plains, as were Yellow Warblers

Sparrows - Swamp sparrows and Henslow's Sparrows, 2 of each, were singing
along the Teal Trail

Grosbeaks - a male Rose-breasted was singing along the Sycamore Plains trail

Meadowlarks - good numbers, with several at Sycamore Plains, Darby Bend
Lakes, and Teal Trail wetlands

Orioles - Baltimores were common along the creek at both Sycamore Plains
and Darby Bend Lakes; the only Orchards were singles at Darby Bend Lakes
and Racetrack wetlands