OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2013 15:17:22 -0500
I visited several areas along this Creek in far eastern Columbus and Reynoldsburg looking for snow-driven birds.  I stopped at Blacklick Ridge Park, Kennedy Park, Huber Park, and the eastern portion of Blacklick Woods.  Despite the snow & cold, there were lots of birds along the creek, as well as at the Blacklick Nature Center feeders.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - the Blacklick Ridge Pond was jammed full of birds in the morning, including 300 Mallards and 240 Canada Geese.  Mixed in were 1 Black Duck and 1 Wood Duck.

Raptors - Red-tails were at several spots, and a Cooper's Hawk was stalking the birds at the Blacklick feeders.  Barred Owls were reported from 2 areas along the Maple Loop Trail at Blacklick Woods.

Woodpeckers - Flickers in many spots, along with the expected Downies & Red-bellies.  3-4 Red-headed continue on the Buttonbush Trail at Blacklick Woods

Brown Creepers - singles were along Blacklick Creek at all 3 parks

Winter Wren - 1 was calling in the scrubby area north of the road at Blacklick Ridge Park

Robins - many were in the honeysuckle bushes along the creek at all the parks, topped by 100+ at Blacklick Woods.

E.Towhees - 1 was at Huber Park, and another 4 were along the Multi-use Trail at Blacklick Woods

Spizella Sparrows - 5 Tree Sparrows were at the Blacklick Nature Center feeders, while a Field Sparrow was along the Multi-use Trail Loop there.

Zonotrichia sparrows - White-throateds were flocking in many locations, while a White-crowned was reported from the Nature Center feeders yesterday.  I didn't see it today, but was only there for about an hour.

Blackbirds - I had a flock of 10 fly past Blacklick Ridge, and single Redwings were at the Nature Center & Multi-use Trail at Blacklick Woods.

Finches - lots of Goldfinches and House Finches, but nothing else, even at the Nature Center feeders.