Lake Erie Bluffs 5/9

John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 May 2018 16:57:34 +0000

text/plain

Fantastic day (5/9) at Lake Erie Bluffs in Lake County. There were large numbers of blue jays, orioles, goldfinches and kingbirds migrating by the tower this morning. Flybys of note were 7 red crossbills, observed heading west, and a fish crow heading east. I spent a bit of time on the trails off Lane Road. Of note there was a young male summer tanager, hooded and orange-crowned warbler, and yellow-breasted chat. There were a lot of thrushes in the woods. Yellow warblers and gray catbirds were everywhere, even in the woods. In all, in five and a half hours, I had 112 species

ake Erie Bluffs Metropark, Lake, Ohio, US
May 9, 2018 6:30 AM - 11:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.2 mile(s)
Comments:     Started off on the Clark Road tower counting flyby migrants. At 9:00 I went over to Lane Road and walked the trails there. There was a good migration with large numbers of blue jays, orioles, indigo buntings, kingbirds, and goldfinch. I was joined on part of the walk by Paul and Sue Belanger. Conditions were southwest winds with mostly sunny skies.
112 species

Canada Goose  21
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  1
Red-breasted Merganser  19
Wild Turkey  4
Horned Grebe  1
Double-crested Cormorant  47
Great Blue Heron  13
Green Heron  4
Turkey Vulture  156
Osprey  3
Sharp-shinned Hawk  2
Bald Eagle  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  5
Sora  1
Killdeer  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Ring-billed Gull  134
Herring Gull  24
Caspian Tern  2
Common Tern  7
Forster's Tern  5
Mourning Dove  3
Common Nighthawk  1
Chimney Swift  21
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker  13     All but two were flying high, migrating east.
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  5
Merlin  1
Willow Flycatcher  1
Least Flycatcher  4
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Eastern Kingbird  63     Most were migrating west
White-eyed Vireo  1
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo  6
Red-eyed Vireo  7
Blue Jay  3484     Large numbers were flying east with numerous flocks of 100+ birds
American Crow  23
Fish Crow  1     A single fish crow was seen flying east over the lake. It called numerous times. The call was a very nasal " cah".
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  128
Purple Martin  9
Tree Swallow  52
Bank Swallow  196
Barn Swallow  55
Cliff Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  2
House Wren  6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  6
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  2
Veery  17
Gray-cheeked Thrush  2
Swainson's Thrush  11
Hermit Thrush  1
Wood Thrush  28     Wood thrushes were calling everywhere in the woods. This was one of the highest totals I have seen of them at this park.
American Robin  61
Gray Catbird  138     Catbirds were extremely common today. This area has large areas of prime habitat and they were everywhere.
Brown Thrasher  2
European Starling  47
Cedar Waxwing  41
Ovenbird  2
Northern Waterthrush  2
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  1
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Nashville Warbler  5
Common Yellowthroat  37
Hooded Warbler  1
American Redstart  6
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  2
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  184     Yellow warblers tend to be very numerous at this park. They were even found in the woods today. If anything, this total is underestimated.
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  3
Palm Warbler  4
Yellow-rumped Warbler  4
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  11
Field Sparrow  2
White-crowned Sparrow  9
White-throated Sparrow  18
Song Sparrow  38
Lincoln's Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  2
Yellow-breasted Chat  1
Summer Tanager  1     A young male bird was observed on the ground drinking at a puddle. The bird  was a mottled yellow and red  throughout its plumage.
Scarlet Tanager  4
Northern Cardinal  14
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  38
Indigo Bunting  52     There was a significant flight of indigo buntings flying west. They were passing by in small groups of up to 6 birds.
Bobolink  21
Orchard Oriole  24
Baltimore Oriole  214     Large numbers of orioles were migrating by in flocks as large as 8 birds
Red-winged Blackbird  96
Brown-headed Cowbird  38
Common Grackle  41
House Finch  3
Red Crossbill  7     Seven red crossbils flew by the observation deck heading west. At least two of the birds were mostly red males. They were identified by call of "ip-jip-jip". I am very familiar with their flight call.
Pine Siskin  9
American Goldfinch  394     Large numbers of goldfinches were migrating west.

John Pogacnik