OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2018

From:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:19:00 -0400
A few shorebirds have arrived in the Mid-Ohio Valley presaging the fall
migration. Most notable birds of the day--all in Washington County
northeast of Marietta:

Newell Run wetlands:

Wood Duck--16
Great Blue Heron--2
Green Heron--2
Killdeer--4
Solitary Sandpiper--1
Spotted Sandpiper--2
Belted Kingfisher--1
Cedar Waxwing--8, including my first juvenile of the year.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak--1 very unexpected male. Very handsome.

Frontier boat launch on Ohio River:

Orchard Oriole--2. The first bird I saw hiding in shrubs along the river
had a wide-gaped mouth and plain head with a dark eye. It was sort of
yellowish with faint wingbars. I really wasn't sure if it was an oriole or
maybe a White-eyed Vireo juvenile. Finally a female Orchard Oriole flitted
in nearby to convince me it was an oriole.

Leith Run Recreation Area:

This area was closed to vehicles and looked abandoned, with many tree
branches lying on the ground, the grass unmowed, and debris clogging the
boat launch. A few areas looked like they may have been underwater in this
spring's floods. As I was leaving the worker who had been mowing at the
Frontier boat launch arrived with his mower, so maybe the place will be
cleaned up and re-opened soon.

Wood Duck--6
Killdeer--3
Spotted Sandpiper--1
American Redstart--3
Cerulean Warbler--2
Hooded Warbler--1

Ohio View Trail from the Route 7 trailhead was blocked by fallen trees
after 100 yards, and there was a strong smell of gas, so I abandoned my
hike.

The other end of that trail comes out on Route 260, so I hiked in a ways
from that end:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1 carrying food
Worm-eating Warbler--2
Hooded Warbler--1 carrying food, then seen a few minutes later singing.
Scarlet Tanager--1 male
Indigo Bunting--1 female or juvenile

Terry Bronson
Vienna, WV