OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2014 16:25:59 -0800
Today Dan Hall and I visited Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area in Wyandot County. The most common color was "Hunter's Orange" as deer hunters were out in force. Interesting we did not see a single deer or a hunter who had bagged one. We did however still manage to locate some birds of interest.

We located a Northern Shrike near the intersection of CH-71 and TH-108.

At the wetland along TH-108 there were 8 Mute Swans. The only reason I mention them is that we also located Trumpeter and Tundra swans, both at Pond 27, a three-swan day.

We skipped the pine grove off CH-71 as it was surrounded by hunters. I counted about a dozen circling the grove. We did check the second pine grove, located off TH-108, but there was no indication of any owl activity.

Pond 27, off CH-68 held an interesting array of waterfowl including 148 Tundra Swans, 5 Trumpeter Swans, 2,000+ Canada Geese, 111 Mallard, 4 American Black Duck, 4 American Wigeon, 13 Northern Shoveler, 9 Northern Pintail, and 23 Gadwall.

The Upland Reservoir was mostly void of waterfowl. There was 1 Common Loon and 9 Hooded Merganser,

Scattered about in various areas were 4 Bald Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, American Kestrel, a lone Northern Harrier, Horned Larks, 5 Red-headed Woodpeckers and a pair of Ring-necked Pheasants,  cock and a hen, that stood at the side of the road and stared back as intently as we did while watching them.

Later we went to Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion County. The entire area was frozen over. Absolutely no open water, but a number of hunters.

Next we made a quick stop at Char Mar Preservation Park in Genoa Township where we checked up on the resident Barred Owl. It was well hidden in the thick boughs of its favorite tree but we finally found an angle where we could see it fairly well.

Then off to the Alum Creek Park South in Westerville. At Alum Lake there were Canada Geese, Hooded Mergansers, a Great Blue Heron and a Belted Kingfisher. Further down the trail we checked in on the Gray morf Eastern Screech Owl. It obligingly posed on the lip of its cavity.

A decent day spent birding with a good friend.

Charlie Bombaci