OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:37:13 -0700
Tested this out several times ... still don't understand the
vagaries of yahoo mail ... apparently FW is not the
way to go.
Given the recent commentary, I thought some metrics
on eBird participation in Ohio may be of interest.

As of 16 Jun 2009, the following 16 counties had seen
the least coverage.

COUNTY CHECKLISTS SPECIES TOTAL
Monroe 9 61
Noble 11 98
Van Wert 14 47
Harrison 18 72
Morgan 20 84
Vinton 24 110
Perry 29 66
Carroll 32 105
Jackson 34 106
Belmont 36 141
Paulding 43 99
Guernsey 54 125
Fayette 55 114
Lawrence 60 119
Morrow 66 116
Pike 75 159
... and the top 16 counties

Montgomery 1283 245
Clermont 1402 248
Warren 1443 258
Lake 1456 268
Geauga 1508 217
Erie 1691 276
Portage 1734 230
Delaware 2090 265
Richland 2148 241
Summit 3613 255
Ottawa 3943 301
Lucas 4155 307
Hamilton 4470 259
Cuyahoga 4790 299
Lorain 5001 290
Franklin 6638 271
Visually this translates into this national map
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/images/GoogleEarthCountymap.jpg

Ohio compares with these top national counties

Wisconsin Milwaukee 15565 327
Minnesota St. Louis 16333 324
Massachusetts Essex 16398 400
California Los Angeles 19071 489
Illinois Cook 21476 341
New York Tompkins 24285 305
For more on eBird's MOST WANTED COUNTIES ... view this article.
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/ebirds-most-wanted-counties

thanks to all who participate in eBird

Vic Fazio
Lawton, OK