OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:01:10 -0500
  Well I drove on up to the lake by myself today after sleeping thru the
meeting time for the Avid birder's trip. It was bound to happen
sometime, haha. Anyways I tried for the Ross's Goose several times once
when Ray posted and then later around 1:00 and we found nothing. I was
a little sad. At Headlands Beach S.P. some people said they saw some
good stuff early in the morn like Purple Sandpiper, Red-th.Loon, Jaeger
etc. but I spent a long time there and got nothing but soaked gloves. I
did see some good Passerines, once I met up w/ Dave English and Dan
Sanders and Bill Kincaid and we went out there again. After this we
went to Sim's Park for some good birds. brief-ish list;
    Headlands
Bald Eagle - 1 adult
Common Loon - 3
Red-breased Merganser - several out on the water and several thousand
fly-bys, wow
Ruddy Duck
Scaup sp. - 10+
Ringneck Duck
Am. Coot
Horned Grebe - 10
Pied-billed Grebe - 2
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Greater Black-backed gull - 3 adults and several more younger birds
Bonaparte's Gulls - hundred or so
Common Yellowthroat - 1 surprised to see on this blustery rainy day
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
Golden-crwned Kinglet - 10
White-throated Sparrows
Song-sparrows - 4
American Tree Sparrow - 5
Hermit Thrush - 1
N. Flicker - 2
       Sim's Park (near Euclid)
BLACK SCOTER - 30+ ! pretty tough to get a look at in the waves, but
finally had some good views
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER - 10 or so, Decent views considering the conditions
Scaup, Lesser - 4+
Golden-eye, Common, - 1 maybe 2
Ruddy Duck
Red-b. Merganser - 40
expected Gulls and lots of Bonaparte's Gulls - these were streaming by
almost constantly
POMARINE JAEGER - 1

Seen a little less than 100 yards out at first as it chased a
ring-billed gull, giving a nice size comparo. Then it flew back out to
"sea" after a couple more back and fourth flights as it chased every
gull it could, haha, pretty fun. It looked like either a dark morph or
probably just a Juvenile bird. Good looks at the white wing double
flashes.
        Seems like everytime I go to the lake to bird, the weather is
not so good, lately. Oh well the birds were there so it was still a
good day.
     Bird on,
       = Ben Warner